Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ready for Spring

Kaia and I went to the park today since it was almost 70 degrees this afternoon. It was her first time there, and she wasn't quite sure what to think. The wind was pretty strong, so I don't think she was a big fan of that, and we didn't really stay long. But, getting out and about really makes me ready for Spring!

Kaia just went down for a nap and I was sitting here thinking about some of the new things I've had to get used to since moving to a small town. Driving 25 minutes to get groceries or go shopping or to the movies isn't really that different. Taking traffic into consideration, it sometimes took that long to get to places in Des Moines. And I didn't necessarily always have my bank close to where I've lived. But that hasn't been a big deal since I hardly ever ATM-I just use my debit card everywhere I go. That is, until I went up to Uncle Bob's (a restaurant in town) one night after we'd ordered take out. I only took my debit card, since I figured that was all I needed. I stood in line at the counter, and when it was my turn I pulled out the trusty debit card. The kid at the register just stared at me and shook his head "no". So, I had to drive back home, find some cash, and head back to get my dinner. Luckily, it only takes about 3 minutes to get there from home. So I learned to always keep a little cash around. But the one thing I'm not sure I'll ever get used to is the sound of horses' hooves clip-clopping outside my window. There's a sizeable Amish population which lives around this area and they come into town to do business. Since we live on the square, I often hear an Amish horse and buggy go by. Now, that's not something most people see every day! But it is pretty neat to see how the Amish choose to live their lives and I'm excited for Kaia to be able to see and appreciate others whose lifestyles are different from ours.

No comments: